Press "Enter" to skip to content

Men’s Soccer Falls to William and Mary in OT

By Brad Bruce

Contributing Writer

UMBC fell 2-1 against William and Mary College last night when a header beat redshirt-freshman netminder Phil Breno late in the first sudden death overtime half. UMBC drops to a 3-3-2 record and slips to third place in the American East Conference standing prior to the start of conference play.

UMBC dominated the William and Mary Tribe offensively in regular time, outshooting them 13-6. Senior back Oumar Ballo lead the team with three shots on goal and scored what turned out to be UMBC’s only goal.

The last time UMBC faced William & Mary was in 2010. Similarly to this week’s game, the the 2010 match up also went to extra time but after two periods of extra time, the game ended in a tie. However, these are now two completely different teams and UMBC has improved vastly over those four years.

The defense started off this game absolutely shutting down multiple WIlliam & Mary attacks and ended up holding the Tribe to only three shots and a single corner kick in the first half. UMBC’s offense started out sluggish but started to get into rhythm when the midfielders began to work more crosses into the box. One such cross ended the team’s best chance for a goal by junior midfielder Joseph Pratt, when his shot the rang of the post and out of bounds after a cross played in by senior back Jordan Becker.

The Retriever’s offense was absolutely dominate in the second half and put up six shots to William and Mary’s three. UMBC drew first blood in the 23 minute when when senior midfielder Mamadou Kansaye played a ball into the box which was headed into the net past the keeper by centerback Oumar Ballo.

After the goal William and Mary’s attack gained some life and ended up scoring and acrobatic goal in the 15 minute by midfielder William Eskay. UMBC pushed offensively until the end of regulation but nothing to show came out of it.

When extra time began, both sides seemed to be exhausted. Not many chances came until about four minutes into the frame. UMBC played a ball into William and Mary’s box which fell in front to the Retrievers, but the shot flew way over the net. Right after that possession, William and Mary’s Chris Albiston shot the ball across from midfield, beating UMBC keeper Phil Breno and sealing the victory for William and Mary.